Galway Town History
The First Settlers
The town was first settled in 1774
by seven Scottish families who came from Galloway in Scotland.
The first name of the town was New Galloway. It later came to be written Galway because of an error made in the county records.
The name of the first seven Sots
who settled here were:
William Kelly (or Kelsey)
The first store was owned by John
The first supervisor was John McClelland.
The first white child born in the area was Elizabeth Kelly.
The first grist mill was build by Daniel Campbell.
The first religious society was the Baptist, formed by Rev Simeon Smith in 1779.
The town of Galway was formed from Ballston, March 7, 1792.
Providence was taken off in 1796.
The Village of Galway was incorporated April 18, 1838.
The area of the Town of Galway is 28,209 acres.
The town lies on the west border of Saratoga County, south of the center.
The northern part of the town contains the Kayaderosseras Mountains.
The chief streams are the Glowegee Creek, the Calderwook Creek, and the Mourning Kill.
In 1870, Galway village contained 2 churches, an academy, 2 hotels, several stores and mechanic shops, and about 200 people. West Galway contained a church an about 20 dwellings.
What is now East Galway used to be called York’s Corners. It was settled in 1778 by Rev. Simeon Smith, his parents, and 3 brothers-on-law; Simeon Babcock, Reuben Mattison, and Joseph Brown.
Return to Main Page